GIMP Edited Photos : Using The GNU Manipulation Program
A FREE download of GIMP is available by clicking here:
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
is a photo editing, free-form-painting, logo and website creator, as well as a graphics software program; and it’s FREE & ‘open-source’.
Some of the photo editing features of GIMP include:
- Resizing & cropping
- Digital retouching
- Photo Enhancement
- Allows remote loading of Transparent Virtual File Systems, from remote locations using FTP / HTTP
- Coverts images to various formats ‘jpeg, gif, png, tiff, eps’
- Saves images with archive extensions ‘zip, BZ2, GZ’ (automatic file compression w/ transparency for saving disk space)
- Creates animated images using ‘gif’ format
- Online batch processing system
- Easy to use, with extensive tutorial support
Gimp Edited Photos
are easily edited with an organized drop-down categorized menu system. With it’s extensive features GIMP gives you the versatility to enhance your images using a variety of methods such as adding borders, scaling images, image manipulation, creating layers, adding text, as well as rendering professional website graphics for individuals as well as web designers. Artists & graphic designers will find a multitude of options related to altering & enhancing color elements & image effects.
GIMP is continually under development in order to make it compatable with the latest computer technology & newest devices such as digital tablets, and GIMP offers support for the use & implementation of features and device actions; such as MIDI controller sliders & rotating USB wheels, size, angle, or brush opacity can be changed while you work, which can aid in decreasing work-times. You can also bind scripts to buttons, using the advanced GIMP scripting interface; which allows scripting of the simplest to the more complex image manipulations.
GIMP Edited Photos : Color
Color is one of the key elements in web design, from colorizing, saturating or desaturating colors, altering color hue, blending, adding default or custom gradients & 3-D effects, to creating & changing backgrounds or text elements.
GIMP offers many tools to aid web web designers & developers in maximizing a website’s graphic elements. Features such as an ‘eye-dropper’tool which converts a selected color in an image to a web-safe hexidecimal color codes to insure color accuracy & consistency in a design on different web browsers, many of these features allow you to create custom gradients for backgrounds or other visual elements.
GIMP Edited Photos: Color Selection Tools
- Eye Dropper Tool (which allows you to select a color from an open project you are working on)
- Watercolor Selector
- Color-Wheel Selector
- Color choosers such as:
- Hexadecimal Color Codes (HTML friendly), (Examples: #000000 = black; #ffffff = white; #3366FF = blue. Codes are always “#” + six number &/or letter combinations).
- RGB/HSV Color Models:
(RGB – red, green, and blue light added together to reproduce a broad array of colors)
(HSV – based on the three properties that a color possesses: Hue, Saturation and Value)
- Color Blending Tool: fills selected areas wof your design with a gradient, which is a blend consisting of the foreground/background colors.
- Color Gradients (customizable to allow you to create custom gradients)
- Image Creation Tools Include:
- Paintbrush (allows you to choose the type & size of ‘brush’)
- Pencil / Ink
- Bucket Fill (allows you to fill large areas with a selected color)
- Transparency (allows you to place an image on a different background)
- Smudge Tool (allows you to drag exisiting colors into one another)
- Other tools are included to allow you to: Saturate / Desaturate the colors of an image, colorize an entire image.
GIMP Edited Photos Shape Creation & Manipulation
is achieved with the use of other Selection Tools, such as:
- Shape Selection Tools: Come in a variety of shapes, such as: rectangular, circular, free-select: for irregular-shaped objects, & fuzzy select)
- Transform Tools allow you to: Move, rotate, scale (resize entire images), change the perspective, flip (horizontally/vertically), sharpen (sharpen or blur areas of an image) & cropping (which allows you to choose the part of the image you want to save).
- Filter Tools: Various effects called ‘filters’ can be applied to your image to: enhance elements such as: “Artistic” (elements like watercolor, impressionistic, artist ‘canvas’, etc. ‘Decor’ styles such as: ‘old photo’, You can also make the edges of the border around an image fuzzy or add a ‘drop-shadow’ to give it a finished look. or you can even add a coffee stain to your image for a whimsical look.
- Layering Tools: Allow you to work on different elements of your design & add them to your design in the order you want.
- Clone Tool: By using the current brush to copy from an image or pattern you can repair undesirable or damaged areas in a digital photo, by painting over it with colors & tones from other part. Other uses of cloning are to draw patterned lines or curves. Perspective can been addressed, using a special ‘perspective clone tool’.
- Healing Tool: Is similar to the clone tool, however it also corrects color & tone if needed.
- Dodge & Burn Tool: Makes specifically targeted areas lighter or darker.